Steelmakers around the world are increasingly providing construction solutions which enable energy-efficient and low-carbon buildings.
Steel is affordable, readily available and safe to use. Additionally, its intrinsic properties of strength, versatility, durability and 100% recyclability allow for improved environmental performance across the entire life cycle of buildings.
Steel’s sustainability credentials in construction:
• Reusable and endlessly recyclable
• Lightweight, requiring less material for foundations
• Enables energy efficiency in buildings and other projects
• Material efficiency relative to strength means less impact on the environment
• Durable – 30 years or more in a benign environment
Future generations will look back at this moment in history and scrutinise what actions we took to achieve a more sustainable world. Steel’s inherent properties make it one of the most eco-friendly building materials available and its increasing use in construction goes a long way towards achieving a more sustainable environment.